Important information for motorists travelling in Europe from 31 October 2019
In the event of a no-deal Brexit (and only if there is no deal), islanders planning to travel to Europe in a motor vehicle on or beyond 31 October should contact their motor insurance provider to apply for a Green Card.
You do not need a green card if:
- You will return before 31 October
- There is a Brexit deal
- Brexit is delayed (you will then only need a Green Card from the new date if there is a no-deal Brexit at that time)
Rossborough customers should apply for Green Cards online at least 7 days in advance, here: www.rossborough.co.uk/green-cards
A no-deal Brexit will affect all motorists including the following:
- Anyone planning to take their vehicle to any EEA (The European Economic Area) country e.g. a family planning a holiday to France.
- Those driving across the Northern Island/Republic of Ireland border.
- Any freight company planning to transport goods into the EEA.
- All commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg must be registered with the local driving authority before travel to or through most EU and EEA countries and a separate Green Card will be required for these.
Drivers with a Channel Island or Isle of Man driving licence travelling to certain countries in the EU and EEA on or beyond 31 October may also need to obtain an IDP (International Driving Permit). Please contact your local licencing agency for details about IDPs.
This notice is not intended to give legal or financial advice, and, accordingly, it should not be relied upon. It should not be regarded as a comprehensive statement of the law and/or market practice in this area. In preparing this notice we have relied on information sourced from third parties and we make no claims as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained. You should not act upon (or refrain from acting upon) information in this notice without first seeking specific legal and/or specialist advice. Rossborough Insurance accepts no liability for any inaccuracy, omission or mistake in this notice, nor will we be responsible for any loss which may be suffered as a result of any person relying on the information contained herein.